TMJ disorders are caused by joint dysfunctions which are in turn caused by intra articular and extra articular pathologies.Most of the patients complain about facial pain, ear pain, and headaches. Usually the first doctor the patients go are ear nose and throat specialists.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons’ Role:
An oral and maxillofacial surgeon must be consulted if the patient is showing symptoms of TMJ disorder. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons are specialists in mouth, teeth and jaw diseases and will correctly diagnose the disease while showing the way for its treatment by establishing the treatment protocols.
TMJ Disorders – Symptoms:
– Severe headaches mimicking migraines
– Ringing in the ears
– A squeaking, clicking or popping sound when opening or closing the mouth
– Inability to completely open the mouth, locked jaw or jaw going out of place
– Pain or swelling on the neck
– Dizziness, fainting
– Pain while chewing
– Facial pain
– Pain while closing the teeth
– Jaw fatigue while chewing
– Experiencing pain or difficulty while yawning or chewing gum
– Facial asymmetry
TMJ Disorders – Causes:
– Missing teeth
– Damage to the TMJ through a car crash, falling or an impact
– Opening the mouth too much
– Overload on TMJ because of teeth grinding or clenching
– Dislocated teeth
– Spasm in chewing muscles caused by stress or tension
– Imperfect positioning of the teeth when the jaws are closed (malocclusion)
– Incompatible or elevated crown – bridge and filling
– TMJ arthritis
You also can diagnose yourself!
– Place your index finger in your ear, then open and close your jaws a few times.
Do you hear a clicking or a popping voice?
– Stand in front of a mirror, then slowly open and lose your jaws. Is there any pain or sliding to the other side?
TMJ Disorders – Treatment Options
– First of all, it is recommended to massage with a warm cloth, painkillers and muscle relaxers in order to stop the patient’s spasms.
– Tailored hard oral plaques (occlusal splints, night plaques) that prevents teeth grinding or teeth clenching
– Stress management and psychological counseling
– Surgical operation
Expert dentists in Kuşadası Lotus Dental Clinic provide treatment for TMJ Disorders.